Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mail from last week (May 6, 2013)

I have a P.O. Box near my office that I use to receive autographs through the mail. I check this box once per week (usually every other week during the hockey offseason). I'll be checking it tomorrow, but just to get things started, here's what I got last Monday (May 6).

Hockey

Ryan Garbutt c/o Dallas Stars (practice facility)
2/2 RIC, custom index, 398 days

It's always uplifting to see a long-lost request make its way back to my mailbox! I had sent to Ryan c/o the Dallas Stars' practice facility in Frisco, Texas near the end of the 2011-12 season. Ryan signed both my Rookie Index Card and the AHL custom index I was making that season for teams I was seeing in person (I had gotten the Texas Stars to sign at the Seattle airport that season on their Abbotsford roadtrip, but missed Garbutt).


Ryan Garbutt
Ryan Garbutt


Peter Mueller c/o Florida Panthers (NHL)
2/2 RIC, custom index, 51 days

Peter was always such a gracious signer in the WHL. I got him to sign several times here, and when the Phoenix Coyotes and Tampa Bay Lightning played an exhibition game in Everett in 2009, many local fans were looking forward to seeing him. Alas, he was a healthy scratch that game. He spent a whole period signing autographs for fans in the concourse, which goes to show how cool he is. I have started trying to get 2012-13 OPC Retro cards signed, since they have lots of whitespace and look amazing signed. This is the first one of those back; I sent a blue Sharpie along with my request. Peter also inked two Everett Silvertips team set cards from 2005-06 and 2006-07. At the time I wasn't collecting these sets signed, but am trying to backfill those years now. Pretty solid success overall!


Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller
Peter Mueller

Soccer

Danny Koevermans c/o Toronto FC (MLS)
1/1 custom 4x6 photo, 22 days

A Dutch striker who played in the Eredivisie with several clubs (Sparta Rotterdam, AZ Alkmaar, and PSV Eindhoven), Koevermans joined TFC in 2011. He signed my custom 4x6 photo in black ballpoint. When I was up in Canada last month to graph the Toronto Marlies and Abbotsford Heat in the Fraser Valley, I made sure to prep a large amount of autograph requests to send out from within Canada. I highly recommend this tactic if you plan on going across the border; it'll result in some savings on international postage.


Danny Koevermans

Blake Smith c/o Montreal Impact (MLS)
1/1 custom 4x6 photo, 22 days

This was another request sent from Abbotsford, BC last month. I am trying to get the entire first round of the MLS to sign custom 4x6s, and this was a somewhat inauspicious start to that effort. I had accidentally selected a photo of Brad Stuver that came up in a Google Image search for Blake Smith, and I didn't vet the photo closely enough. Blake was nice enough to sign, but included a short three-word note pointing out the goof. I'll probably re-send a corrected version to him with "Oops, my bad!" on the same note.


Blake Smith
Oops....

No comments:

Post a Comment