Thursday, June 6, 2013

June 3, 2013 - Mailday Monday

OK, so it's a belated Mailday Monday. There hasn't been much in the mail lately, just these two waiting in my mailbox earlier this week. My wife and I spent this past Memorial Day weekend at the in-laws' place in Montana, and I've been busy at work so there hasn't been much time to prep TTMs. I'm starting a new retired NHLer photo concept for TTM requests that I may expand to IP starting next season.  I've gotten tons of NHL trading cards signed, but have always wanted to get something signed showing a player's career NHL stats (that isn't some boring card-back or media guide page).  After I started toying with custom 4x6 photos more this year, I was finally able to come up with something:

Click to embiggen

It's not great or even good, but it will probably suffice. The player is pictured with the team with which he either played for the longest or enjoyed the most success. It's tough to find decent pictures of some players online, so quality will vary. Complete NHL regular season stats are provided; the font is boring ghetto Courier New to keep the spacing equal so I don't have to eff around with that much. Also, a visual Stanley Cup or Avco Trophy is pictured next to any season in which the player was part of a championship team! As with my other customs, I try to keep things very simple and allow for some light space for the player to sign (without forcing it and putting a lightened box on top of everything). I wish I had thought of this ten years ago!

Hockey


Ottawa Senators RIC c/o Trade

Beth G. - Ottawa, ON

One of the great parts of this community is the network of collectors who enjoy helping each other out with their autograph endeavors. Beth in Ottawa is one shining example of this concept; she is always eager to trade and help people out with her hometown Senators, Ottawa 67s, and Gatineau Olympiques.  Near the end of this season the Senators raided their farm club in Binghamton, bringing up a bunch of new faces all at once: Dave Dziurzynski, Eric Gryba, and Jean-Gabriel Pageau. There were also a few rookies I hadn't gotten around to adding to my RIC collection: Jim O'Brien and Jakob Silfverberg.  And to top it off, rookie sensation Cory Conacher was traded to the Sens at the deadline!  Beth was able to help me get all these players, and many of them (Pageau in particular) had a great run in the playoffs so that makes this envelope of autographs even cooler.  Thanks again, Beth!



Cory Conacher
Dave Dziurzynski
Eric Gryba
Jim O'Brien
Jean-Gabriel Pageau
Jakob Silfverberg
My printer has been struggling mightily the past couple months, which explains the print defects on these RICs.


Ryan Sawka c/o Business (Regina, SK)
1/1 card, 75 days

Score another one for my Everett Silvertips team set project! Since retiring from hockey, Ryan Sawka has gotten involved with a yoga studio in Regina. I sent this to him and he responded with a signature in black ballpoint. He also took the time to write his return address on the SASE, which is always a nice plus. Thanks Ryan!



Ryan Sawka

1 comment: